Python Project 2: Taking Some Names

In part 1 of this project I had Python open up a spreadsheet and count how many new faculty members I have for this fall. In part 2 I decided to make it tell me their names. Looking at the spreadsheet I can see that First Name, Last Name, and Department are the details I want to pull, provided the department matches the list I’m responsible for. Python is very literal-minded about what it prints, so I had to manually tell it to print spaces and commas. Likely there is a better way to do that, but that is a project for another day.

Next project: Getting Python to export this data to a file. After I figure out how to push updates to Github from the Linux virtual machine I’m coding on.


First Python Project

I did a little programming today which clarified for me the role of colons in Python. Today’s project combined stuff on using the CSV module in Python¬†and stuff from a workshop I went to recently. I had Python take a not-very-long spreadsheet of new faculty members and departments, check it against a list of departments I’m responsible for, and tell me how many new faculty I have to worry about this year. I even figured out how to upload the results to Github if you want to follow along: and related files. Tomorrow I’ll see if I can modify it to give me a list of names and departments, too.

Ultimately I’d like to get Python to analyze two spreadsheets, one with the titles indexed by a scholarly publisher like MLA Bibliography, one with my library’s journal coverage dates–and to create a human-readable report I can share with faculty and students. I’m currently doing this with some ugly, ugly Excel spreadsheets that even I can’t read easily.

I am taking advantage of my almost complete ignorance to force myself to do this one step at a time. Today was frustrating until I started correcting my punctuation.